The decision on which type of material to use for the flooring of your property merits a second thought. One material you should look into is plywood, a cheap alternative to using hardwood flooring. Over the years, the quality level of plywoods is better because of technological improvements in the manufacturing process. It has since become a sought-after flooring solution for people who value a natural and simple look.
In this article, you will know how plywood flooring panels differ from other types of flooring materials. More importantly, this article also focuses on the advantages of using plywood flooring.
Related article: Is the Cost of Baltic Birch Plywood Worth It?
Common Types of Flooring Materials
Before discussing the unique advantages of plywood flooring, you should first differentiate the characteristics of common flooring materials. One reason for having these choices is to cater to the whims of customers. Synthetic flooring, for example, came about as a solution for those who cannot afford expensive floorings.
You can refer to the following list for more information about these common types of flooring materials:
- This type of flooring is composed of multiple plies of wood veneer bound together by a strong adhesive.
- The wood veneer may come from hardwood or softwood materials.
- There are four types of glue used to bind the plies of wood veneers. Type A, which uses phenol-formaldehyde resin, is the strongest glue and used for marine and exterior types of plywood. Type D, which contains urea-formaldehyde resin, is the weakest and used for interior-related projects.
- Plywood comes with different grades and thicknesses, which significantly affects its durability and strength.
- The combined qualities of the face and back of the veneer determine the quality of plywood.
- Plywood can be classified depending on its application. The following classifications are:
- For internal use
- Suitable for use inside the house or office.
- It is best used as flooring inside bedrooms since there is less foot traffic in this area of the house.
- Ensure that it does not get wet often because the material could degrade in quality quickly..
- For structural use
- This classification includes plywood that is known to withstand heavy foot traffic and other types of constant pressure.
- Suitable for entryways, living rooms, and other parts of the house that people pass through regularly.
- For external use
- It is resistant to water damage and temperature changes, making it ideal for bathrooms and kitchens.
- Hardwood is among the most durable and expensive types of flooring material.
- The material used in this type of flooring is solid wood taken from hardwood trees.
- Hardwood flooring comes in three forms of flooring panels:
- Solid unfinished hardwood panels. These are made only from solid wood materials. This form of hardwood flooring does not go through any sanding or sealing processes.
- Solid prefinished hardwood panels. These also come from solid wood material taken from hardwood trees. However, these panels are sanded and applied with a protective coating by the manufacturer.
- Engineered hardwood. This type of flooring material is made by binding together multiple plies of wood veneer. The top ply is made of solid hardwood veneer, while the other plies may be a combination of softwood or plywood veneers. A strong adhesive binds the panels to make sure that they stay intact the whole time. This form of hardwood flooring also passes through a sanding process and is also applied with protective coatings.
Polished Concrete Flooring
- Compared to other flooring types, polished concrete does not involve installing flooring panels.
- This type of flooring makes use of the current concrete subfloor installed on your property.
- The concrete floor would undergo the processes of grinding, honing, and then polishing.
- It is naturally strong and durable but also feels uncomfortable since there is no cushion on your feet.
- This type of flooring comprises various compounds with polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Known to be one of the cheaper flooring alternatives but easily damaged by heavy and sharp objects.
- The design for vinyl flooring comes from the included printed design layer.
Ceramic Tile Flooring
- Clay is the main ingredient for this type of flooring.
- By heating and cooling clay, a durable tile is formed.
- It is easy to install while using grout to make it stick to the subfloor.
Related article: Installing vs Refinishing Hardwood Floors: Comparing the Cost
5 Unique Advantages of Installing Plywood Flooring
Various reasons would make any flooring material a good option for your flooring needs. For plywood flooring, you may refer to the following list to see its advantages:
- Plywood is flexible when it comes to applying different materials to its surface.
- The surface of a plywood sheet can be applied with paint, sealant, stains, or any other protective coating materials.
- By using the correct type of stain, it can exude a beautiful and natural wooden look.
- It is also easy to replace whenever one of the plywood sheets has already lost its strength.
- The price of a plywood sheet depends on its grading.
- Even though the cost increases with higher grades, plywood flooring still has a considerable advantage compared to some of its alternatives like hardwood flooring.
- Because it uses wood, it can withstand most types of pressure.
- Engineered with multiple layers of wooden veneer, it has qualities that allow it to handle different external forces and extreme climate changes.
- The more plies of wood veneer in a plywood sheet, the durability and longevity of the plywood sheet will be enhanced.
Ease of Installation
- Plywood sheets are easy to install on the subfloor.
- To fasten the plywood sheets, you only need to use nails, glue, or even screws.
- In addition, thicker plywood sheets can be used to lock down furniture by drilling holes and bolt them together.
Different Plywood Grade
- Compared to other types of flooring material, what makes plywood unique is that it can have different grades.
- Depending on where you wish to install the plywood flooring materials, the choice of varying plywood grades can help reduce your flooring expenses.
- Areas that may regularly come in contact with moisture can use marine-grade plywood. In contrast, areas like the bedroom can use lower-grade plywood.
Related article: What Is the Cost of Installing Engineered Hardwood Flooring?
Plywood Flooring Is a Cheap and Strong Alternative
You must decide which would fit your design and budget, given multiple choices for your flooring needs. However, before making this crucial decision, you must first consider the aesthetics before assessing the quality of the flooring panel to be used. Those who wish to use flooring made from wood but have some budget restrictions, using plywood flooring is a solution to their dilemma. Even though the durability and longevity of plywood flooring cannot match hardwood flooring, you can still get that authentic wood feel with plywood flooring.
One of the good things with plywood flooring is that you can do the installation yourself. It is a cost-saving step but can still be risky if you are not familiar with flooring installation techniques. A plywood sheet can easily get damaged if not handled properly. For that reason, you should hire a professional team of flooring installers to handle this type of job. Remember that these experts have all the knowledge and tools at their disposal. There will be less chance of any wastage of the plywood sheets.
In addition, you can also consult first with these experts before you continue with your flooring project. For those who are currently looking for a reputable flooring company to purchase and avail installation services from, you can contact Three Trees Flooring at (416) 665-2624. Their professional flooring installers will be ready to handle your flooring project requirements.