Hardwood floors are timeless additions to any home, providing beauty and durability. However, even well-kept hardwoods may show signs of wear over time. Thankfully, refinishing them can bring them back to their former lustre while prolonging their lifespan.
The first step in refinishing hardwood floors is to evaluate them, after which sanding comes next. While refinishing your hardwood floors yourself helps you reduce the cost of replacing them, you must leave the job to professionals. If you do a poor job, there’s a chance your flooring will look worse than it was initially.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through every step of refinishing hardwood floors yourself or hiring professionals like Three Trees Flooring. Here, we discuss what happens when refinishing hardwood flooring.
Steps in Preparing for Hardwood Finishing
Refinishing hardwood floors typically takes 3 to 5 days from start to finish. This timeframe includes evaluation, sanding, staining (if desired), finishing, and drying time between coats.
Here are the steps to take when refinishing your hardwood floors,
Step 1: Evaluation and Prep
Before initiating the refinishing process, an intensive examination of your hardwood floors is vitally important. This step identifies any problems, such as deep scratches, stains or uneven areas, that you must address. It also helps you identify furniture you need to move out for a smooth refinishing experience.
Step Two: Sanding
Sanding is an essential step that involves stripping away old finishes and imperfections from wood surfaces, while dustless sanding technology minimizes airborne particles. Professional refinishing services often utilize special equipment to make this step as efficient and effective as possible.
Step 3: Staining (Optional)
This next step during the hardwood floor refinishing procedure is optional. Here, you can customize the appearance of your hardwood floors to complement any specific decor in your home.
Staining is an invaluable option for changing the hue of your hardwood floors. There is an abundance of stain colours ranging from light to dark that you can select to suit any situation or preference.
Step 4: Finishing
The finishing process involves applying protective coats to the newly-sanded and stained wood. Finishing adds layers of durability while creating that distinctive shine characteristic of well-kept hardwood floors. Depending on the desired look or foot traffic in an area, you may choose water-based or oil-based finishes.
Step 5: Drying and Curing
Once you apply the finishing coats, floors require time to dry and cure before being ready for everyday wear and tear. The duration of this step can depend on factors like humidity and the type of finish you used. Also, this step may last from 24 hours up to several weeks or longer, depending on its application method.
Step 6: Final Inspection
Once the floors have thoroughly dried, a final inspection will evaluate your newly refinished hardwood floors. At this step, you can make any necessary adjustments or touch-ups. Also, this is an opportunity to view how stunningly your hardwood floor transformation has come together.
Benefits of Hardwood Floor Refinishing
Refinishing hardwood floors provides many benefits that extend far beyond just visual transformation. For instance, it can save you money while also allowing you to customize your floors through staining.
Here are the benefits of refinishing hardwood flooring,
- Refreshed Aesthetics: Refinished hardwood floors can completely change your home’s aesthetics, adding elegance and warmth.
- Increased Durability: Refinishing enhances wood’s durability by applying a protective finish that increases resistance against scratches, spills and everyday wear and tear.
- Refinishing Can Save You Money: Refinishing is an affordable alternative to completely replacing your hardwood floors, saving money in the long run.
- Customization: Staining hardwood floors allow you to personalize their colour to suit the interior design preferences of any room.
- Eco-Friendly: Refinishing extends the lifespan of existing hardwood floors. This way, it decreases the demand for new materials and contributes towards creating a more environmentally sustainable home environment.
DIY Refinishing Versus Professional Refinishing Services
Professional refinishing offers several distinct advantages over DIY kits for refinishing furniture. For instance, experienced staff have access to equipment and materials necessary for creating an even and smooth finish. Also, they can address any unexpected problems during the process.
Hardwood floor refinishing costs typically depend on various factors, including size and extent. Also, it depends on the damage severity, the type of finish you choose and the professional or DIY kit options available.
It’s important to note that improper sanding or finishing may yield unsatisfactory results. Professional refinishing services usually range from $3 to $8 per square foot. Likewise, DIY kits available may cost anywhere between $6-8 per square foot.
Preparing for a Smooth Hardwood Floor Refinishing Project
Planning is essential when preparing for a hardwood floor refinishing project, as refinishing can be time-consuming. Also, declutter the area, ensuring it’s well-ventilated.
Consider these tips for ensuring a successful refinishing project,
- Clear the Area: To create an uncluttered workspace, remove furniture, rugs, and any unnecessary items from the room.
- Plan Ahead: Coordinate your refinishing project with your daily activities as efficiently as possible to minimize disruptions.
- Choose the Right Finish: It is essential that your finish matches both your aesthetic and lifestyle preferences. Water-based finishes dry more quickly while producing less odour than oil-based coatings.
- Ventilation: Effective ventilation during drying is critical for optimal curing and minimizing odours.
- Professional Consultation: When in doubt about what type of finish or approach would best suit your floors, get advice from professionals like Three Trees Flooring for assistance.
Expert Hardwood Flooring Installation and Refinishing Services
Refinishing hardwood floors is a transformative experience that breathes new life into any home. Each step, from sanding and staining to finishing and drying, creates beautiful refinished floors.
With this guide on refinishing hardwood floors, you can make your old ones look new again. Here, we discuss what to know before refinishing your floors while giving tips to make the refinishing process seamless.
Get the stunning hardwood floors you have always desired. At Three Trees Flooring, we provide professional hardwood floor refinishing services tailored specifically for your home. Get in touch with us today at (416) 665-2624.